Although shaving is the fastest way to get rid of unwanted hair, burning razor rash accompanied to it is inevitable. Razor rash can be simply defined as the irritation results after getting any area of your body shaved such as neck and underarm. It takes the shape of reddish or pinkish spots that cause itchiness and swellings.
Although women are also prone to get infected with this kind of rash on the neck, it’s the men who are more vulnerable to such kind of rash since they frequently get their beards shaved.
There are so many causes of razor rash or viral rash such as:
- Using a dull blade.
- Using a hard soap.
- Shaving dry.
- Unconditioned skin.
- Having sensitive skin.
Razor rash causes severe discomfort. Fortunately, there are several ways through which you can get rid of razor rash.
Here are the best 10 ways to get rid of razor rash:
First: Cold Compress:
It’s absolutely an effective way to get rid of sensation caused by burning razor shaving. It soothes the inflamed area and reduces sensation. As well as reducing redness and itchiness and prevents the razor rash from getting even worse.
- Put several ice cubes in a piece of cloth and wrap it well. And then, apply the cloth over the affected area.
- Another way, dip a piece of cloth in cold water, and then place it over the affected area.
Repeat either of these treatments several times a day. Immediately after shaving, try splashing cold water on your skin, so that you prevent razor rash from developing.
Second: Apple Cider Vinegar:
It’s an effective way to get rid of razor rash, as well as sensation and burning linked to razor rash on face. Additionally, the acetic acid in apple cider vinegar helps to prevent infection.
- Dab a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and apply it on the infected area.
- Allow it to air dry, and then rinse your face with water.
- Repeat this twice or thrice a day until the sensation stops.
If you have a sensitive skin, you must dilute the apple cider vinegar with water before applying it.
Aspirin is also another simple way to get rid of razor rash as fast as possible. The anti-inflammatory property of aspirin helps to get rid of redness and inflammation.
- Put two aspirins in one teaspoon of warm water.
- Let it sit for some time, until it turns into a paste.
- Rub the paste on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for ten minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this treatment twice a day to get rid of discomfort and razor rash as well.
People of highly sensitive skin mustn’t use this treatment.
Forth: Aloe Vera:
It’s another amazing choice for relieving razor rash because the soothing and cooling nature of aloe Vera will always provide you with relief of sensation and burning associated with inflammation. Interestingly, aloe Vera speeds the healing process due to natural moisturizers it contains.
- Extract aloe Vera gel from an aloe Vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on the affected area.
- Allow it to dry on its own, and then rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat this treatment twice or thrice a day for two or three days.
Fifth: Black Tea:
Interestingly, the black tea bags that you use to make yourself a cup of tea are very useful to get rid of razor rash. The tannic acid this tea includes helps to reduce redness and inflammation.
- Moisten a black tea bag in warm water.
- Allow the tea bag to cool or put it in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Apply the tea bag on the affected area for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Repeat this process several times a day as needed.
In addition to its anti-bacterial properties, honey is very well-known in treating razor rash quickly. It also keeps the skin moisturized, as well as reduces the swelling and inflammation. Add to that, honey can prevent the area from getting infected.
- Put some honey directly over the inflamed area, allow it to air dry and then wash it off with cold water.
- Another way, mix on-half teaspoon of honey and one-tablespoon of plain yogurt. Apply this mixture on the affected area, keep it for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Use either of these two treatments three or four times a day as long as needed.
Seventh: Baking Soda:
Baking soda is another old-fashioned way to get rid of razor burn. The baking soda can easily sooth the inflammation results after shaving due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Additionally, it helps to get rid of itchiness and redness.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with a cup of water.
- Soak a cotton ball on this mixture and apply it on the affected area.
- Leave it for about 5 minutes and then rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat this treatment twice or thrice a day as long as needed.
Cucumber is very useful to get rid of symptoms of razor rash due to its hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties. Moreover, cucumber contains vitamin C and K, which are two important ingredients for relieving pain and itchiness.
- Slice a fresh cucumber and put the slices in the fridge for 30 minutes. Rub the cold slices on the bumps for 10 minutes.
- Another way, puree half of a cucumber and mix it with one-quarter cup of milk. Put the mixture I the refrigerator to cool. Apply it on the inflamed area and leave it for 10 minutes. After that, rinse it off with warm water and repeat this treatment twice a day for two days.
Ninth: Tea Tree oil:
Being rich with antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, the tea tree oil is a perfect choice to alleviate razor rash.
- Add five drops of tea tree oil to two tablespoons of water. Apply this mixture on the inflamed skin. Leave it for 10 minutes on your skin, and then, wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat the treatment twice a day as long as needed.
- Another way, add two or three drops of tea tree oil to one tablespoon of olive oil. Apply the mixture on the irritated area and then wash it off with warm water.
The alleviating and anti-inflammatory properties of oatmeal play a crucial role in reducing inflammation and irritation associated with razor rash.
- Mix equal amounts of oatmeal and yogurt, and then add a little honey.
- Apply this mixture on the inflamed area.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and the rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply this mixture twice or thrice a day for two or three days.