Know more about the rash on your hand, what causes it, and how to deal with.
Generally, rash is a symptom due to many possible causes that makes the affected area of skin to turn red and blotchy and to swell. A rash on your top of hands varies of causes, and it usually indicates a systemic condition, or something occurring around the hand itself.
What’s causing Rash on top of Hands?
Hand rash can occur due to many possible causes, including allergens, infections, autoimmune disorders, or other causes like stress.
Hand rash due to Allergic or inflammatory
The rash on top of hand can be caused by contact dermatitis. The following are some common triggers include:
- Cosmetics, detergents, or dyes.
- Metallic substances.
- Poison ivy or oak.
- Industrial chemicals, such as elastic, latex and rubber
- There are other allergic causes of hand rash include:
- Eczema which cause scaly or blisters rash.
- Allergic reactions to certain foods.
- Insect bite allergy.
Hand rash due to Infectious
Hand rash can be caused by infections include:
- Erythema nodosum
- Hand-foot-and-mouth disease
- Meningitis (infection of the sac around the brain and spinal cord)
- Lyme disease (inflammatory bacterial disease spread by tick bites)
- Measles, mumps, rubella, roseola, and scarlet fever
- Pityriasis rosea
- Strep throat, which is bacterial throat infection
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever
Hand Rash due to Autoimmune
In addition, rash on top of hand can be caused by autoimmune disorders include:
- Kawasaki disease , which is characterized by inflammation of blood vessels, rash, high fever, and mucous membrane changes
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which is characterized by joint inflammation
- Systemic lupus erythematous, it is caused because the body attacks its own healthy cells and tissues
Hand Rash due to other factors include:
- Extreme cold or heat
Hand Rash due to life-threatening causes
In some cases, rash can be a sign of a serious or life-threatening condition that has to be evaluated immediately. These can include:
- Allergic purpura
- Anaphylaxis , which is an allergic reaction
What are the other symptoms that might occur with hand rash?
Depending on the underlying cause, Hand rash may occur along with other symptoms.
Beside hand rash, the following are some localized symptoms including:
- Pus or discharge
- Tenderness or pain
- Redness, warmth or swelling
In addition, there are other symptoms related to other body systems including:
- Fever and chills
- Runny nose
- Joint stiffness and pain
- Sore throat
Other serious symptoms that may indicate a life-threatening condition
Hand rash can be a symptom of a life-threatening condition that should be evaluated immediately. See your doctor if you have hand rash along with other serious symptoms including:
- Change in the level of consciousness
- Worsening of symptoms
- Purple rash
- Sudden swelling of the face rashes, lips or tongue
- Fever and chills
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Tightness or constriction in the throat
- Respiratory or breathing problems, such as difficulty breathing or inability to breathe, wheezing, or choking.
How to diagnose the cause of hand rash?
To diagnose the cause of you’re the viral rash on top of hand , your doctor will ask you several questions including:
- When did the rash appear?
- Does the rash cause any itching or scaling?
- Are you taking any medications?
- Do you have any known allergies?
- Have you tried any new products recently?
- Have you spent a lot of time outdoors lately?
- Do you feel otherwise healthy?
- What are the potential complications of hand rash?
If your hand rash occur due to serious diseases and you have failed to seek treatment, serious complications and permanent damage may be resulted. For example, infectious diseases may lead to serious complications include miscarriage, hearing loss, and serious brain infections.